Current:Home > NewsJudge says he’ll look at Donald Trump’s comments, reconsider $10,000 fine for gag order violation -Capitatum
Judge says he’ll look at Donald Trump’s comments, reconsider $10,000 fine for gag order violation
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 03:29:25
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York judge said Thursday he would take a fuller look at Donald Trump’s out-of-court comments and reconsider a $10,000 fine he imposed on the former president a day earlier at his civil fraud trial.
The development came after Trump’s lawyers urged Judge Arthur Engoron to rethink the penalty. The judge fined Trump on Wednesday after finding that his comments to TV cameras outside the courtroom violated a gag order that bars participants in the trial from commenting publicly on the judge’s staff.
Outside court Wednesday, the Republican presidential front-runner complained that Engoron, a Democrat, is “a very partisan judge with a person who’s very partisan sitting alongside of him, perhaps even much more partisan than he is.”
The comment came weeks after Engoron imposed the gag order in the wake of a Trump social media post that disparaged the judge’s principal law clerk. She sits next to Engoron, and Trump’s lawyers had groused a bit earlier about the clerk’s facial expressions and role in the case.
Summoned to the witness stand Wednesday to explain his comment, Trump said he was talking not about the clerk but about witness Michael Cohen — his former lawyer and fixer who was testifying against him at the time.
On Wednesday, Engoron called Trump’s contention “not credible,” noting that the clerk is closer to him than is the witness stand.
Trump’s lawyers insisted anew Thursday that Trump was talking about Cohen. They pointed out that right after his reference to the person “sitting alongside” the judge, Trump said: “We are doing very well, the facts are speaking very loud. He is a totally discredited witness” — a reference to Cohen.
Trump lawyer Christopher Kise argued that it meant the person “alongside” the judge was also Cohen. “To me, the ‘he’ in that sentence is referring to the person in the immediately preceding sentence,” Kise said.
Engoron responded that he would look at the entirety of the remarks and would reconsider the penalty.
“But I’ve made the decision, and unless I say otherwise,” it stands, he added.
Trump attended the trial for two days this week, but wasn’t in court on Thursday.
The case involves a lawsuit that New York Attorney General Letitia James filed last year against Trump, his company and top executives. She alleges Trump and his business chronically lied about his wealth on financial statements given to banks, insurers and others. Trump denies any wrongdoing.
In a pretrial ruling last month, Engoron found that Trump, chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg and other defendants committed years of fraud by exaggerating the value of Trump’s assets and net worth on his financial statements.
As punishment, Engoron ordered that a court-appointed receiver take control of some Trump companies, putting the future oversight of Trump Tower and other marquee properties in doubt. An appeals court has blocked enforcement of that aspect of Engoron’s ruling, at least for now.
The civil trial concerns allegations of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records. James is seeking $250 million in penalties and a ban on Trump doing business in New York.
veryGood! (44547)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Fighter pilot killed in military jet crash outside base in San Diego, officials say
- The National Zoo in Washington, D.C., to return giant pandas to China. What you need to know.
- Legendary Price Is Right Host Bob Barker Dead at 99
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Hersha Parady, who played Alice Garvey on 'Little House on the Prairie,' dies at 78: Reports
- Man arrested after going door to door looking for Drew Barrymore's home, police say
- 3 men exonerated in NYC after case reviews spotlighted false confessions in 1990s
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Simone Biles halfway to another title at US gymnastics championships
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Fire at a Texas prison forces inmates to evacuate, but no injuries are reported
- When the family pet was dying, 'I just lost it.' What to do when it's time to say goodbye
- Maine man, 86, convicted of fraud 58 years after stealing dead brother's identity
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Jury awards $3.75M to protester hit by hard-foam projectiles fired by Los Angeles police in 2020
- China sends aircraft and vessels toward Taiwan days after US approves $500-million arms sale
- Montana Indian reservation works to revive bison populations
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt among 6 nations to join China and Russia in BRICS economic bloc
Publicist says popular game show host Bob Barker has died
Is the Gran Turismo movie based on a true story? Yes. Here's a full fact-check of the film
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
University of Michigan graduate instructors end 5-month strike, approve contract
Trump's mug shot in Fulton County released
Think you've been hacked? Take a 60-second Google security check